Does your living room need a makeover? Use these design tricks to transform a dull room using pieces of fabric or wallpaper.
Think your sofa is your favorite shirt
That is, cover it with a color you like to wear instead of a neutral color, which most people choose, that disappears into the room.
- If you choose your favorite color, the one that suits you best, the sofa will have a central place. You will never be tired of sitting or looking at it.
Use in small doses fabrics with bold patterns
A few patterns on a decorative stool or pillow will have an impact.
- It will not be too vibrant, but it will stand out.
- This is a good way to use an expensive fabric that you like without having to spend too much to cover a whole couch.
For large chairs, choose a small print
If you cover a large chair, such as an armchair, choose a fabric with small patterns.
- These chairs are quite dramatic. Small patterns balance the look and look more sophisticated.
Choose the right fabric for your family
Do you have children? If so, choose a sofa fabric that is easy to maintain.
- The patterns help hide spills and crumbs. You probably know that now.
- Did you also know that fabrics with a texture, a cotton velvet or other velvet textiles, could very well mask the disorder? Try it. You worry less and benefit more.
You may also like to read: 5 solutions to common wallpaper problems
Dress up boring blinds
These vanilla-colored blinds cannot be uglier. They are inexpensive and complete the task. For a few dollars more, you can transform them, and transform an entire room at the same time, sticking a wallpaper with bold characters inside.
- This works best with blinds 68 centimeters (27 inches) wide or less, which is the standard width of a roll of wallpaper.
- Measure the length of the blind in full extension and cut the wallpaper to the same length, leaving an extra five centimeters (two inches).
- Spread out the awning and cover it with wallpaper glue using a sponge roller.
- Lay the wallpaper on the glue, bending the extra five centimeters (two inches) under the awning.
- Use a rolling pin to smooth the air bubbles. Cut off any excess wallpaper.
- Because wallpaper can make the blind difficult to roll from top to bottom, this trick works best on windows where you leave the blind partially closed.
Make a decorative bulletin board
The large acoustic ceiling tiles, the kind of thing you see in offices with false ceilings, make very good bulletin boards inexpensive.
- Visit your home improvement center. Look for tiles of any size you like; Tiles of 60 square centimeters (2 square feet) cost about $ 25 for a box of four.
- Wrap them in the decorative fabric of your choice (leave a slight overlap and glue the edges to the back). You can hang them directly on the wall or paint a hollow core door and secure them to the door in a neat row.
- Learn the door against the wall and voila! You have an inexpensive bulletin board.
All these simple tips can help animate a dull room without being overwhelming. Try some of these tips and see which combinations work well for your taste.