The accent walls are a topic of conversation in any living space and give the room a new dimension. Here are seven simple tips to paint a wall accent in a flash.
1. A bold color, but not too much
Heavily decorated walls are not for fragile hearts. Do you fear a color too intense?
- Try to choose a similar shade (but more discreet) with a hint of gray, or opt for a slightly darker shade in your color palette.
2. Imagine and see
Are you afraid to start? No problem!
- If you are unsure of the success of your first wall, start with a “shake test” that will allow you to narrow your choice to three or four shades, and then do a medium-sized test to check the results.
- After spending a few days on colors, you will eventually find the one that best suits the space you want to decorate for Wall Accent.
You may also like to read: Tips on creating a Theme for a child’s bedroom
3. Location, location, location
Not certain to know the good wall to highlight? Think of the wall you want to highlight as if it were a big board to hang.
- What is the central Wall Accent of your space that would best display your artistic talents?
- Do you want to hang your masterpiece over the hearth of the fireplace? On a large white wall above the sofa?
- It could be in both cases the ideal place for the wall you are looking to accentuate.
4. Small details matter
Unlike the previous board, you can also focus on a wall that would otherwise be ignored.
- A small wall absorbed by a door? Increase its contrast rather than make it invisible.
- More subtle, it can create a “warm” space in an otherwise under-estimated space.
5. Everything is about details
Choose a color for your Wall Accent by thinking about the details.
- If a room is mainly dominated by blue tones, a blue painted accent wall may overlap too much in the room, thus negating the impression of space you want to give it.
- Pay particular attention to the colors and hues of the highlighted objects. You notice a shade of gray-tin in the blue? Here is your accent color.
6. Do it yourself
To add a graphic element to your space while having the impression to enlarge it, here is a tip:
- Rather than painting the entire wall, set a large proportioned rectangle with duct tape.
- The extra white space will add a “new dimension”, also giving an illusion of depth.
7. Stay away from the wall
An original way to create a personal space? Consider painting a ceiling like no other.
- A deep and dramatic color that would normally darken a room can be the hue you are looking for your ceiling, especially in homes adorned with intricate moldings.